Students learn the fundamentals of becoming a Pharmacy Technician, a full-year, two-semester program that leads to working in a retail or healthcare facility pharmacy.
- The need for Pharmacy Technicians is expected to increase by 32% from 2006 to 2016, which is much faster than the average for all occupations.
- Median hourly earnings for a Pharmacy Technician in California is $17.29.
- About 71% of Pharmacy Technicians work in retail pharmacies.
ACQUIRED SKILLS INCLUDE:
- Pharmacy Operations
- Drugs and Medication
- Dosage Forms and Strengths
- Inventory Control
- Pharmacist Assistance
- Includes Externship Opportunities.
THIS COURSE PREPARES YOU FOR:
- Pharmacy Technician License
What is It?
Pharmacy Technicians work in retail, hospital, or healthcare facility pharmacies, supplying medicines and medical devices to patients. When customers go to their local drugstore to pick-up their prescription, the person behind the counter will most likely be a pharmacy technician. They provide customer service, fill prescriptions coming from the doctor's office, and process insurance claims.
What will I do?
Pharmacy Technicians dispense prescription drugs and other medical devices to patients, along with instructions on how to use. They will interface with doctor's offices to review prescription requests, and work with insurance companies to ensure the correct medications are provided and payment is received.
LEADS TO THESE JOBS:
- Benefit Manager
- Medical Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- Registered Nurse
IS ths for me?
- Communication skills
- Well organized
- Continued learning
Lancaster, CA 93534
(Student will be placed on the Antelope Valley Adult Education’s interest list once class is full or in session. Students are contacted in July for an informational meeting and sign-ups.)
Antelope Valley Adult Education offers:
- Courses approved by the California Department of Education.
- Teachers are credentialed by the California Commission on Teacher Credentials.
- Program meets the requirements for California State Certification.
- Courses are geared for adults.
- Convenient hours and flexible schedule.
- Program provides all the necessary information to pass the National Pharmacy Certification Board Exam.
- Externship sites are available and recommended.
- GED/HS Diploma is required for state and national certification.