In partnership with CalRegional, this course prepares graduates for entry-level positions as pharmacy technicians in hospitals, retail drug stores, clinics, and more. Upon completion of the program and 120-hour externship, students will be prepared to take and pass the national exam for Pharmacy Technician Certification through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA). Students can then apply for state licensure in California.
- There are currently over 5,000 jobs available for pharmacy technicians in California.
- California pharmacy technicians have an average salary of $38,000 - $48,000.
- As the field expands, unique opportunities arise for work in closed-door infusion pharmacies, nuclear pharmacies, and IT.
Above information is obtained from www.bls.gov.
ACQUIRED SKILLS INCLUDE:
- Hands-on skills like compounding and administering IVs using the aseptic technique.
- Receive, identify, and fill prescriptions with prepared labels.
- Understand drug classifications and interactions.
- Establishing and maintaining patient records.
- Managing billing, insurance, and inventory.
- Dosage calculations and medical math.
THIS COURSE PREPARES YOU FOR:
- Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT)
Pharmacy technicians work under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist and are responsible for various tasks, including filling prescriptions, maintaining patient records, processing insurance claims, and more.
- Collecting information to fill prescriptions from customers or health professionals
- Measuring amounts of medication for prescriptions
- Sterile and non-sterile drug compounding
- Packaging and labeling prescriptions
- Organizing inventory and alerting pharmacists to shortages of medications or supplies
- Accepting payment for prescriptions and process insurance claims
- Recording customer or patient prescription information
- Answering customer phone calls
- Arranging for customers to speak with pharmacists to answer questions about medications or other health matters
- Pharmaceutical Sales Representative
- Medical Technologist
- Medical Assistant
- Patient Advocate
- Patient Coordinator
- Patient & Care Technician
- Hand-eye coordination
- Customer service
- Empathy and compassion
- Communication skills
calregional in partnership with ANTELOPE VALLEY ADULT EDUCATION OFFERS:
- 182 hours of classroom instruction & hands-on training
- Guaranteed 120-hour externship
- CPR certification
- National exam
Lancaster, CA 93534