The course prepares graduates for entry-level positions as phlebotomists in hospitals, clinics, Laboratory Service Centers and physician’s offices. Upon completion of the program , students will have met all of the State of California’s requirements to become a Certified Phlebotomy Technician I (CPTI). Passing a National Certification examination is also required and will be given on campus after the Didactic Training and prior to completing externship.
- The need for Phlebotomy Technicians is expected to increase by 25% from 2006 to 2016, which is much faster than the average for all occupations.
- Median hourly earnings for a Phlebotomy Technician in California is $21.10.
- About 73% of Phlebotomy Technicians work in Medical/Diagnostic Labs or General Medical and Surgical Hospitals.
ACQUIRED SKILLS INCLUDE:
- Draw blood sample to diagnose
- Disinfect the arm where blood is drawn
- Career Readiness
THIS COURSE PREPARES YOU FOR:
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician 1 (CPT1)
Phlebotomy is the process of taking blood out of a person's body for the purposes of detecting health conditions and illness, as well as blood donation or transfusion. A Phlebotomy Technician is responsible for collecting the blood samples, taking great care to prepare the patient, drawing the blood safely, and preparing the blood to be used for future diagnostic uses.
Phlebotomy technicians usually work in doctor's offices, healthcare clinics, and hospitals, directed by the nurse or physician to draw a blood sample to diagnose. Specifically, they will disinfect the arm where blood is drawn, usually near the inside of the elbow, and insert a needle to draw the blood our, called "venipuncture". When finished, they will make sure to prepare, label and ship the blood samples for further use.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Lab Technician
- Nursing Assistant
- Phlebotomy Technician
- Registered Nurse
- Hand-eye coordination
- Customer service
- Empathy and compassion
- Communication skills
Antelope Valley Adult Education offers:
- Courses approved by the California Department of Education.
- Teachers are credentialed by the California Commission on Teacher Credentials.
- Courses are geared for adults.
- Convenient hours and flexible schedule.
- Program provides all the necessary information to pass the National Phlebotomy Certification Exam.
- Externship sites are available and recommended.
- GED/HS Diploma is required for state and national certification.
Lancaster, CA 93534